Farnham is a pretty village in the north of Dorset, within the Cranborne Chase Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, 7 miles north-east of Blandford Forum. Farnham was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 when the name was written as Fereneham. Farnham was famous as the original location of the Pitt-Rivers Museum. This huge collection of antiquities was created by General Augustus Pitt-Rivers, who founded the museum that bears his name in Oxford in 1884. General Pitt-Rivers lived at Rushmore, just outside the village, and he is often called the Father of Modern Archaeology. The parish church of St Lawrence is an attractive medieval building in the village. The first church here probably dated to the 12th century. The most striking feature is an embattled west tower of flint and sandstone, erected in the 14th century. Inside are a pair of fonts, one dating to the medieval period. Outside the churchyard entrance is an ancient well.